Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Schoolbag In Hand







Schoolbag in hand
She leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye
With an absent-minded smile


I watch her go
With a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is sappy! :-) But sweet, and true. Oh, and I LOVE Brynne's backpack. That would be the one I would pick! Your girls are precious!

Kelly H. said...

Cindy, your life is such a reality check for me, I'm so thankful I have your blog(s). Larry and I were looking at the pics of your girls tonight thinking "wow, we are not far from that," it's a hard one for us to swallow! I thought about you today as I was lying on my floor with my chubby baby climbing on me...soon, she'll have a backpack on too! Where does the time go?

His Girl said...

these are the pics that i keep taking and then wondering why cause they make me all sniffle-y

and then i look at yours and they have the same effect. something about the walking away into the world that gets me all choked up :)

great shots!

Halfmoon Girl said...

gulp- I am not ready for this in two weeks! great poem!

Christie said...

I don't know you or your precious family, I just read your blog. But I was in tears after this post, because of the shared bittersweetness we as mothers share. Hoping they will grow up to be great people, but wishing they would stay little forever! Thank you for sharing your heart! Knowing that I will give my kids an extra hug!